Sunday, July 7, 2013

Late to the Party......


I am definitely not the type to join the the party on trends willy nilly, but I have to say I am late to the party on the chalkboard trend. It seemed to me that chalkboard embellishments were better suited to school themed layouts and teacher appreciation cards - neither of which I make.

These embellishments also seemed at bit pricey ($3.99 or $4.99 for five chalkboard embellishments).  Anyone who follows my YouTube channel (47CMC) and/or this blog knows that I like to make my own embellishments whenever possible.  I decided to join the party on the chalkboard trend and attempt to make some of these chalkboard pieces to use on cards.

After purchasing wood square and rectangle pieces at the craft store, I used some painter's masking tape to first paint a "wood frame" around the perimeter of the wood piece.  After that was dry, I masked off the frame area and painted the center of the piece with black chalkboard paint.  This is very easy, but takes a little while as you wait for the paint to dry.

The photo above shows a few of the chalkboard pieces I made.  I still need to touch these up with the brown paint to cover some of the chalkboard paint that seeped under the tape before I use them on a project.  They are fun to make and pretty easy and if you go sparingly on the paint it will be less likely to seep under masked off areas.

Here is a card I made using one of my handmade chalkboard embellishments.



Materials used on this card:

Handmade chalkboard embellishment
Handmade enamel dots
Summer's End patterned paper by Fancy Pants
Kraft card stock by Papertrey Ink
Smokey Shadow card stock by Papertrey Ink
Ruled background stamp by Cornish Heritage Farms
Wooden heart by Studio Calico
Fishtail Flags banner dienamics by My Favorite Things

2 comments:

  1. Love the chalkboard and your pretty papers! Fab card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I am happy you like the card!

      Delete