Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Tim Holtz Tattered Florals Challenge......


I don't participate in a lot of challenges because I usually have a crisis in confidence that my creation is not "up to snuff" (as my grandmother Loretta used to say).  But, I decided to just go for it and create something for the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals challenge.  Plus, the Tattered Floral die is one of my favorites from Tim Holtz.

This project took me about two weeks to create.  I started by running the die through my Big Shot what felt like 8 zillion times, but was probably more like 12-14 times.  I cut the petals out of grunge paper.  I then base coated the petals on each side in an ivory acrylic paint. After that was done, I added a crackle medium and then a top coat in each of the four colors - light pink, coral, blue and purple.  When that dried I turned each of the petals over and did the same thing.  Then I took out my glue gun and just started manipulating the grunge paper into the flower shape I wanted.  I also took some white stamens I purchased from Michael's (baking aisle) and dipped the tips of these stamens in glue and then in yellow flower soft. After that dried, I painted the stems of the stamens light green.

The leaves were cut with Tim Holtz's Tattered Leaves die out of velvet material taken from some Christmas poinsettias I purchased on sale at the end of the season.  These leaves were ivory in color, but I used Peeled Paint Distress Stain to color them green.

I purchased the basket at Hobby Lobby for $4 and painted it with an off white acrylic paint.  The basket filler is paper shred from the dollar tree.  It was bright yellow, but I used a bleach and water solution to bleach it to an off white.

Whew!  I think that is it.  If you have any questions, please feel free to leave me a comment.  I have a video describing this project on my YouTube channel HERE.  The basket was hard to photograph and you might get a better view of it on the video.

Thanks for visiting my blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment